Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Unplanned the Book

I read the book "Unplanned" by Abby Johnson. It was very good and I highly recommend it.
In the book she talks about how she found compassionate and sincere women who worked at Planned Parenthood with her and how they really wanted to help women. When I was a volunteer at Planned Parenthood I found the same thing. I was the one that was the angry, militant in your face feminist. I was the one that would argue and yell at pro-lifers. I was the one that was suspicious of all pro-lifers especially the Christians and denigrated them. My conversion was not a slow process. It was not a process at all. It truly was an instanteous thing; a St. Paul experience. God is very merciful and kind.
Another thing that struck me was how Abby always thought her mission was to reduce the number of abortions. Again, I never felt that way. I thought it was a women's right and noone could tell her what to do with her body. A women can have as many abortions as she wanted and noone should stop her.
The thing that really got me though with Abby's book is when she describes the ultrasound guided abortion that she witnessed. That just about undid me. If anyone can read that chapter and not understand and believe in the humanity of the unborn child and see how wrong abortion is and why women suffer from it so much then.......I really don't know what to say....souless....hardened, evil....monster....are some of the things that come to mind though. I think even I would have been converted if I had read a book like that back in my feminists days.

No comments:

Post a Comment